[MG] Crossforum theatre map - projecting a Vilfredo feed

Pietro Speroni di Fenizio metagovernment at pietrosperoni.it
Mon Jan 10 04:34:55 EST 2011

Hi Michael,
Ok, let's get technical.

As you know Vilfredo has a number of rooms. which provide the space
for different groups to meet, as well as to have space that can be
tied to geographical places or to give privacy. Rooms are not
advertised, so if you use a weird name for the room, like
"dbwixwxwnj", no one will ever find it, unless you give them the
direct link.

Each room has an rss feed. The adress of the rss feed is:
http://vilfredo.org/rss.php?room=[Name of the Room]

So the room Vilfredo (where we discuss enhancement to Vilfredo itself)
will have the rss feed:
http://vilfredo.org/rss.php?room=Vilfredo

The only exception being the common room, which is at
http://vilfredo.org/rss.php without any name of the room.

The rss feed has several extra elements right now.

Over and above the usual we have:
vga:status
vga:shorturl
vga:room
vga:numberProposals
vga:twitter
vga:generation

The status will tell you if it is in the voting or proposing stage.
The shorturl is the url that uses bit.ly to link to the page
the room is the room where the question is asked
the number proposals is the number of proposals that has been asked to
vote among
the twitter is a phrase that should be published through twitter
(@Vg2A) for the question. Right now we are only publishing questions
from the common room.
and the generation is obviously the generation that is running.

The rss is automatically fetched from yahoo pipes, and modified to be
then pushed into twitter.
What happens here is that the vga:twitter is substituted to the title,
and the the result is pushed into an rss to twitter service, that
pushes it into twitter.

The address of the pipe fetching the rss feed is:
http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.info?_id=bb6f972cba035e3a319ef7841f2a1ee2

The pipe can run for any room, and even for any other version of
Vilfredo, as it has two inputs, the room name, and the website
address.

The rss after running through the pipe is then available for everybody.
For example the address for the yahoo pipes rss for the room Vilfredo is:
http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.run?_id=bb6f972cba035e3a319ef7841f2a1ee2&_render=rss&room=Vilfredo&site=vilfredo.org

I think it would be a piece of cake for you to go to this yahoo pipe,
clone the pipe (just click on the clone link) and change it so that
you can have the rss as you want it. Provided you don't need any extra
information this is probably the best way to proceed.

We are right now thinking about doing two things:
1) all the rooms that are all in CAPITOL LETTERS should be public, to
the point that all of them should appear in the official twitter page.
So we can have a SPANISH page and an ITALIAN page, and a BELGIUM page
and an INDONESIA page, and an ENVIRONMENT page. ANd there is no need
for the person to advertise it.

2) [and this I don't know if it is possible] It is important that no
one should have rights over a page. I don't want a situation where the
first person that writes in a page gets possession of it, or similar.
But it is useful if some pages were linked to some localities. For
example the page ITALIA, should be linked to Italy. And ROMA to Rome.
Now, I wonder if there is an automatic way to do it. Maybe there is a
service offered by yahoo or google that given a name gives you back
the coordinates they assume that name refers to. It might be often
wrong, but sometimes right. If this is the case, those coordinates
would end up being really useful for the geoforum.